Committee Approves Small Business Contracting Bills, Submits Views & Estimates on SBA Budget
Mar 7, 2012 -
“Contracting reform is a triple play for the economy – it’s good for small businesses, it’s good for the taxpayer, and it’s good for the government.”-Chairman Graves
WASHINGTON, DC – The House Small Business Committee, chaired by Rep. Sam Graves (R-MO), today held a full Committee markup of its Views and Estimates on the Small Business Administration’s (SBA) FY 2013 budget request and six small business contracting bills.
On Contracting Bills: “The Small Business Committee has worked very hard to craft procurement system reform legislation that not only will give small businesses an equal playing field for contracting opportunities, but will also ensure that taxpayer dollars are used wisely and efficiently. This was a bipartisan effort to improve opportunities for small firms— which is critical in moving them closer to becoming law. Contracting reform is a triple play for the economy – it’s good for small businesses, it’s good for the taxpayer, and it’s good for the government.”
On Views & Estimates of SBA Budget: “Given the current state of our economy and extreme national debt, it is astonishing that this SBA budget proposal does nothing to curb spending or reduce unnecessary regulations. On top of this, the administration requests an additional $10 million for programs not authorized or ever examined by Congress and provides no path to improve plans to revamp computer systems that manage loans— a core function of the SBA. Our Committee’s views and estimates letter represents an effort at reducing federal spending, while ensuring the core functions of the SBA are preserved and available to small business owners.”
The legislation marked up included:
• H.R. 3850 -- The GET Small Business Contracting (Government Efficiency Through Small Business Contracting) Act of 2012, sponsored by Chairman Graves and Rep. Bill Owens (D-NY)- PASSED by voice vote.
• H.R. 3851 -- The Small Business Advocate Act (SBAA) of 2012, sponsored by Chairman Graves- PASSED 11-7.
• H.R. 3893 -- The Subcontracting Transparency And Reliability (STAR) Act of 2012, sponsored by Subcommittee on Contracting and Workforce Chairman Rep. Mick Mulvaney (R-SC)- PASSED by voice vote.
• H.R. 3980 -- The Small Business Opportunity Act of 2012, sponsored by Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler (R-WA) and Subcommittee on Investigations, Oversight and Regulations Ranking Member Rep. Kurt Schrader (D-OR)- PASSED by voice vote.
• H.R. 4121 -- The Early Stage Small Business Contracting Act of 2012, sponsored by Rep. Kurt Schrader (D-OR)- PASSED by voice vote.
• H.R. 4118 -- The Small Business Procurement Improvement Act of 2012, sponsored by Rep. Mark Critz (D-PA)- PASSED by voice vote.
For additional hearing documents and vote tallies on bills and amendments, CLICK HERE.